Sustainability is important component to keep in mind when approaching the mortgage loan process. You can be kind to Mother Earth and your wallet. Whether you are purchasing a new home or refinancing, here are some helpful tips on how to be more energy efficient and save money!
“Buying a Home"
When going to invest in a new home, the following are things to consider if you are looking for an eco-friendly house
- Open-concept is extremely trendy but unfortunately not energy efficient. A smaller home is easier to maintain (think less space to clean!) AND cost effective for heating and cooling throughout the year.
- The orientation of your home can affect how energy efficient it is. You want to minimize sun exposure!
- Ensure that there is proper insulation in your new home.
- Having energy efficient windows can help decrease your heating and cooling bills!
- Ceiling fans which help to improve efficiency of the system in place.
“Refinancing” Your Home
When you are considering refinancing, that means you are looking to save money. The following are tips for around the home to decrease your energy usage and increase your conservation efforts which in turn will help you save more money!
- Turn off lights when they are not in use - there are timers you can install and even mobile apps that allow you to control how long lights are on if you want to make it seem as though someone is home without leaving them all night.
- Composting your food waste rather than using your garbage disposal.
- We all love to grill out in the summer so this shouldn’t be hard - try to avoid using your oven during the summer so you don’t need to spend more to cool your home.
- Unplug your TV, phone chargers, and other devices when not in use - they draw power even when not in use, especially TVs because of the instant-on functionality.
- Install a tankless water heater - click here to see just how much money and energy you could save: https://rinnai.us/tankless-water-heater/energy-savings